Over the last few years Ecuador has made major progress in reducing child malnutrition and building up their education. Ecuador is faced with many challenges because of their lower income level, making families and communities to lack the resources and income to help lower malnutrition and help build up the education. Malnutrition and education are problems that people from all over Ecuador have to deal with on a day to day basis. Although that has been the case, Ecuador has overcome these obstacles little by little by putting into action what the people of their country deserve. Strategies formed by the government has helped push Ecuador in the right direction of lowering percentages of malnutrition and raising the percentages of children, teenagers, and adults getting an education, in order to better their lives. Both of these issues go hand in hand with one another. Children and/or adults getting an education helps them gain knowledge on health and therefore will help them to take care of themselves and pass that knowledge onto their children so they can as well learn to stay healthy. Percentages were as high as 27 percent for chronic malnutrition for children five and under. This number dropped in 2010 to 22 percent. Malnutrition has repercussions on the cognitive development of children and possibilities of them becoming economically productive citizens, and on the overall health of the population. This showed a large result that included a 12 percent point reduction in anemia among children. After seeing this progress, they continued to ensure that the families in these top priority areas have access to clean water, sanitation housing, and nutrients, while health services and nutritional services are provided.
A few programs have stepped in to help the education matter in Ecuador. This has helped students to succeed in education, by providing them with necessities needed in a classroom to learn. Including free text books from grades 1 to 7, for basic general education. These free textbooks available to students are registered in Spanish speaking and bilingual public schools, with the help of the ministry of education who is providing these books to them. Schools that are receiving this are in the coast, highlands, and Amazon Basin region systems. The ministry of education has contributed with 80 percent of the cost of books, with the rest of the 20 percent being contributed by sectional governments. Other programs have stepped in to help increase educational progress such as programs like the Escualas Unidocentes (one teacher schools). These schools aim to reach a percentage of students who have difficulty in accessing schools and provide these children that are from rural areas with books, facilities, and computers.
The rights of the citizens of Ecuador have recently been enforced in a way that should have been done years ago. Education and the health of their citizens has entirely been overlooked and were therefore creating a problem in their community. Coming together as a community and promoting their rights as Ecuador citizens has already changed many families lives all from all over the country.