What do the two performance pieces, Juno and the Paycock and Twinkletoes, tell us about how the IRA affects women?

I am proposing to write a research paper on the how the Irish Republic Army has an impact on women. The paper would specifically look at two different performance pieces, that contain strong female leads. In Juno and the Paycock, the mother loses her son to the IRA. In Twinkle Toes the main character is married to a member of the IRA that has been imprisoned for the rest of his life.

This research paper will look at these two performance pieces that have strong female leads with controversial viewpoints of the IRA that many Irish women experienced. I will be comparing the relationships between the main characters and the IRA, found in these two pieces. It will also be argued that these experiences were shared among many of the Irish women at the time.

This is significant to Irish heritage as many were involved with the IRA and we can only get a clear depiction of this relationship by looking at accurate performance pieces about that time period. I am interested in this topic because I am curious as to what the common relationship was between women and the IRA. This is also relevant to those looking to more closely understand the relationship between the IRA and the rest of Ireland. I can compare the performance pieces to many different perspectives that women have experienced worldwide. For example the loss of husbands, sons, and brothers during war.