Irish Women And Performance

As a half Irish man, I knew almost nothing about my heritage other than the infamous potato famine. Entering this class for a credit I didn’t expect to fall so deeply into the cultural and ideals of old Ireland and even the Ireland we know today. It inspired me to travel there even more, I took a trip to dublin to do just this and went to the Abbey Theatre where I saw a play called “The Train” and it fit in so perfectly with this course known as Irish Women and Performance. The play had 3 male characters and the other 8 were female. All of the females were lead roles so that’s not something you get to see a lot in america. I think that this class has helped me gain a perspective of the women’s struggle around me. Especially the ones in show business. Before the class, I never realize how little films and plays tend to have a woman as the main character. Learning about the plays we learned about was a refreshing change of pace and opened a part of my mind that I had never thought to use. These plays they bring women to such an equal level to men and I feel that should happen a lot more than it does. I can’t pretend i know the struggle of my female peers and friends, but the course has definitely shown me better ways to create these characters and make them more equal to each other and not fall into these damsel in distress type tropes. To grow a industry that is altogether more female for a change. How to craft a great female character and create this perspective I have never been able to have as a man. I would recommend this course to any playwrights or screenwriters out there of the male sex. I think that it truly helps us understand just how important it is to include our female counterparts.

One thought on “Irish Women And Performance

1. Nicholas McDermott

I found that your post on the role of women in the entertainment and film industry has some parallels to the subject of the artifact analysis I carried out in the course Jordan: A Cultural Mosaic. In my analysis, I focused on a short story called The Gallows by the female author Suhayr al-Tall, and on the imagery that al-Tall uses to depict the struggle of women in Jordanian society to reach the level of their male counterparts in terms of professional and social status. Similar to the film industry, the literary world in Middle Eastern society is male-dominated and at times oppressive to those who fall outside of the traditional norms.
    It is interesting to learn that the struggle for gender equality is playing out not only in the political realm, but also in the realm of arts and culture. Whether it is an actress stepping outside of the minor or male-dependent roles typically allotted to women in show business, or an author tackling the subject of patriarchal dominance and facing whatever consequences may come in her male-driven society, it is heartening to see that the fight for equal rights regardless of gender is alive and well.