Jordan Artifact Analysis

For my project I analyzed this picture with no other context and posed questions to myself and tried to answer them knowing what I know about Jordan and about Islam.  The main question I asked was “How does her religion affect her work?”  There are several assumptions I made by posing this question,

1) that this is in fact her job and not just some hobby she does in her free time

and

2) that she is a practicing Muslim

I feel as though it is safe to make these assumptions knowing what I know about Jordan. Jordan is a majority Muslim country and therefore it is safe to assume that she is in fact Muslim and according to Observatory of Economic Complexity (http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/jor/) Pottery is an export from Jordan so it is possible that it is her job.

One major thing that I asked myself when exploring the question of how her faith affects her work is if she has to stop work to participate in the call to prayer.  The call to prayer is the first of the five pillars of Islam and is observed by all practicing Muslims.  Over the course of a day the Takbir (God is great) and the Shahada (There is no god but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God) are recited over a loud speaker 5 times a day from a minaret so that everyone can hear and as a member of the Muslim faith you are supposed to stop whatever you are doing and pray during this time.  According to a couple of sources each of these calls to prayer can take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes and in some cases even longer, meaning that if she does indeed observe every call to prayer she could be spending anywhere from 25 to 50 minutes praying every day.  What I wonder is if there has ever been a time that her praying has impeded her work, if she ever thought to herself ‘if I didn’t have to pray I could have finished my pottery’?

One thought on “Jordan Artifact Analysis

1. William McIntyre

For my Istanbul class we learned a lot specifically about the Ottoman, and Byzantine Empires and the culture within it. I thought this was an interesting read because of the one artifact focused on. By looking at one artifact you can truly begin to realize what you know, don’t know, and assume about a culture. We learned in our class how the Byzantines didn’t do much art for themselves. They did it all for religious depictions/ purposes. I find it interesting how in Jordan society, it seems like their art might not be as religious but their religion still affects their day to day life. Both societies seem to have used religion as a big construct of their society.