Yemen; The play ground of the Horsemen

Tanner Ormsby

Disaster opens my eyes
By the time, I had done all these weeks of tweets I had come to realize that many of them focused on the horror that the children have been going through each and every day in Yemen. Airstrikes and raids, food shortage and the never-ending questions of death, hunger and destruction that must plague their minds.
Allah Protect the people of Yemen. This was the call from one of the tweets from this week that I hope is still rolling across cyberspace and all nations of the world. “ Every soul shall have the taste of death: And only on the Day of Judgment shall you be paid your full recompense. Only he who is saved far from the Fire and admitted to the Garden will have succeeded: For the life of this world is but goods and chattels of deception.” (185,Ali Imram)

The people of Yemen are indeed tasting death, over the last 3 years death and misery has been the only meal available to the people of Yemen. There cups and plates overflow with this meal and though this might not be the final judgement day, it is a judgement day for all of those, myself included. If we continue to ignore the call of help coming from those in need I do believe we have failed in what it means to be a human being. There calls for help are like the trumpet that sounds for the end of days, loud and persistent. We hear the never-ending horn yet we ignore because it is easier than to confront the troubles of others.

In a graph aptly named The third Horseman or Famine was another tweets from this week’s group that struck an cord with me for the second time. In this tweet from 3 weeks ago stated that there was a famine possible in Yemen. And for the last 2 weeks I have seen more and more tweets about the fact that children and adults are starving in Yemen every day. Tweets about famine and families starving are always in the feed for tweets about Yemen. 2.1 million children are starving in Yemen right now. Because of this a child every ten minutes’ dies in this country. Yet every day I waste food that I take for granted throwing away things that I should be happy that I have to eat. A whole country is worried that today might be their last meal. And it not just a part of the whole, but the whole country. This fact is what has opened my eyes and caused me to begin to really be aware of what I have and understand that a whole country is suffering more than I could ever imagine.

Also, when coming back to these tweets I was reminded that the UN had declared the terrors in Yemen are the worst humanitarian issues to be happening in the world right now. Again, that was 3 weeks ago, the UN’s mission as written on the United Nations web site is as fallows. “The United Nations can take action on the issues confronting humanity in the 21st century, such as peace and security, climate change, sustainable development, human rights, disarmament, terrorism, humanitarian and health emergencies, gender equality, governance, food production, and more”. The UN is made to protect humanity making sure that all rights are upheld in the world. So, when they are saying that the biggest crisis for human rights in 2017. The world must acknowledge this and begin to work on helping in whatever way we can to change the future of Yemen. This is my biggest take away from doing these tweets, we as the human race must begin to act in whatever way we can to help those in the suffering in Yemen.

3 thoughts on “Yemen; The play ground of the Horsemen

1. Charles Kahn

I can see an interesting relationship here between Jordan, a nation that is known for accepting individuals from nations in distress, and Yemen which sounds like it is one of those nations. I am curious to know if there is a diaspora of individuals from Yemen seeking refuge in Jordan. On a global level, Famine has often been a initiating cause for diasporas to form in foreign nations, and I wonder what effect, if any, a famine in Yemen would have on Jordan and its economy which is already struggling under pressure form the Syrian crisis. Currently, the World Bank estimates that one in every three people living in Jordan is a refugee. As Jordan is acting as somewhat of a stabilizing force in the very tense climate of the Middle East, would an impending Yemen famine push the region to some sort of tipping point?

1. Patrick Anderson

Tanner, I agree with you in the point that when we are at war that we give up necessities. As you quoted “We hear the never-ending horn yet we ignore because it is easier than to confront the troubles of others”. This is so true that myself has been to war in another country. When you stand up for what you believe and are willing to go to war you must be willing to give the ultimate sacrifice and that is death. There are people in this world who expect peace. But people like this are what I like to call side line heroes. I currently am taking a core class in Irish women and dramatics and if you didn’t already know the wars caused a lot of deaths. The point is Lady Gregory asked for the same , the ultimate sacrifice , are you willing to do the same for something you believe in?

2. Charlie Carucci

Tanner you bring up some very interesting points. The current situation in Yemen certainly is a tragedy. Your comments on the death and famine that is plaguing the people of Yemen reminds me of some parts of Irish History that I looked at early in the semester. One event in particular comes to mind. The Easter Rising of 1916 was a tragic part of Irish history resulting in the death of hundreds of Irish people. The fight between Irish Rebels and British Forces left cities ravaged and thousands of people wounded. It seems Yemen is dealing with a similar situation today. However, I think that the cultural differences between Ireland and Yemen also make these two very different situations. If you have time, I’d love to know if you think Yemen will be able to recover one day like Ireland eventually did.