4 thoughts on “Confucianism and Women

1. Mark Viens

This was a really interesting read, as I focused my Gods, Ghosts, and Ancestors project on Chinese paper offerings. I found this especially interesting because I talked about the role of women in the paper shops that make these offerings. Just as with your research on Confucian ways my research pointed that cultural norms are shifting to allow women in paper shops, and even become managers or owners. I feel like a lot of cultural norms are shifting in China, which reflects heavily on religion and folk ways. It is very interesting how research into one folk way or one religion can reflect what is going in the total population.

2. Marlena Hanne

I read part 1 of your website, which looked at whether or not Confucianism was inherently sexist. I feel like a lot of the questions that you raised in this portion of the website were very similar to the questions that people have to ask about women in Arabic countries as well. The short story I analyzed was called “The Gallows” and was an abstract piece that looked at women being oppressed by patriarchy.

Ultimately, the author of this piece, Suhayr al-Tall, was accused of “offending public sensibilities’ and was forced to go to court, where she was eventually convicted, fined, and sent to jail. During her trial and conviction, there was no discussion of whether or not she was being accused of this because she was a women. Instead, it was all framed in the context of law.

I believe your point about needing to pointedly consider whether or not something is sexist applies in both of these situations. Although it looks like it isn’t taken into consideration, the culture behind it makes it significant.

3. Samantha Bassett

I saw a lot of parallels between your exploration of the relationship between Confucianism and gender and our study of how women are treated in Jordan. You talk about whether or not Confucianism is inherently sexist, which is a point of discussion for Islam as well. The reality is that whether either belief system is inherently sexist, the way they’re applied in practice can be (and often is) sexist. I don’t know much about Confucianism, but Islam’s somewhat unique status as a legal basis in addition to a religion gives it a level of power and perceived legitimacy that other religions rarely achieve. I wrote an analysis on the short story “The Gallows” by Suhayr al-Tall, a Jordanian woman author, which abstractly portrayed the insidious way that patriarchy oppresses women, and although her perspective is that of a Jordanian, the piece is globally relevant.

4. Dalton Keating

Gender equality is what comes to mind for me when reading your website, especially the first section of the website. It is hard to believe that woman have an equal situation as men when hearing things like this. For Irish Women and Drama, I was drawing observations of women being stuck in Ireland and often were widows in the years 1900-2000. The strongest reasons for this included their husbands deciding to either leave Ireland to go to America or because their husbands were arrested. It is sad to see women have a harder situation than men when people still claim gender equality exists. I really find it interesting across a variety of courses, there is significant evidence that all builds to this conclusion.