Jordans Cultureal Mosaic Artifact Analysis Summary

Artifact Analysis Summary

I chose to analyze an Armenian Folksong as sung by the Armenian Choir of Jordan. I had to analyze the artifact itself as well as its connection to citizenship. Since it was in a foreign language I needed to use different methods than I usually do. I had to rely on tone and context alone.

I listened to the song many times to get a feel for it. I attempted to discern its message from how it sounded. The notes seemed like they were expressing something upbeat to me. Not necessarily something happy, but certainly not something sad. The way the words were said also sounded upbeat to me. Therefore I decided the song probably had a positive message to convey, even if it was frustrating to not actually know the meaning. I also wondered if the tone was meant to contrast darker lyrics but I had no way of knowing if this was the case or not.

In relation to citizenship, I was able to come up with something a little more concrete. This is an example of  a way for Armenians to culturally benefit the country of which they are now citizens. Since Citizenship is meant to be a mutually beneficial relationship, the Armenians get homes and jobs, and access to the other cultures that live in Jordan. In return, they pay taxes and share their culture.

I also wondered if perhaps it could connect with gender citizenship in particular. I noticed that most of the time, the men and women in the choir sang at different times in the song, and had slightly different lines. I knew that in Japanese, men and women speak differently and wondered if that was true of Armenian as well. How do Armenians treat men as opposed to women, and how is that reflected in this choir? All in all, I ended up with way more questions than I started with.