Kurds’ Fight to become Kurdistan

The Separatists Movement I chose to discuss is the Kurd’s fight to become Kurdistan, separate from Turkey. I am currently in the COR-330 class Minority Report with Ken Wade, and it has repeatedly shined a light on the inherently violent conflict between the two groups. After researching the conflict I have come down to a few prominent points in the Kurdish attempt(s) to separate themselves from Turkish government and/or control. One point is, of course, the ever so complex history of the two groups. It seems to be many stories of how/why the Kurds feel they should be a separate nation-state. I would like to find out the truth behind the evolving conflict. The next point I want to cover is the current state of the Separatists movement’s progress. The history of the Kurdish movement proceeded as follows. A  peace deal between the Republic of Turkey and the army, which was originally banned, known as the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, the P.K.K. for short, resulted in a disarmament of the group and a temporary withdrawal of their forces. This occurred after an acceleration of violence between the two sides in recent years which, combined with leftover fighting from Syria, nearly created a ground war in the far southeastern part of Turkey.  Huge reforms are expected to come from the deal, and so far the withdrawal has resulted in surprisingly little incident.  Many of the P.K.K. fighters are falling back into to the Kurdistan Autonomous Region of northern Iraq, an increasingly quasi-independent (learned that from Buckley) state which began assembling itself under the protection of the United States and NATO’s supposed “northern no-fly zone” between the two Gulf Wars and was entrenched in the new Iraqi constitution after the United State’s invasion in 2003.  Iraqi Kurdistan made great attempts in 2013 as well, including a more relentless policy of forging oil deals with foreign states and firms, without seeking the approval of the Arab and Shiite dominated centralized government in Baghdad, or giving them a cut of revenues.  This has pushed Baghdad and the Kurdish movements politically farther apart than they ever were historically. With more and more observers openly predicting full independence, the movement has also attempted to improve ties with Turkey, which had initially been hostile to the idea of an autonomous Iraqi Kurdistan. The result, however remains to be a clear cut battle line drawn between the larger group of Turkey and the Kurdish movement. As stated above, my paper stands to cover the increasingly violent history and the present day state of the Kurdish movement in its feverish attempts to distance itself as a nation from modern day Turkey.

2 thoughts on “Kurds’ Fight to become Kurdistan

1. Benjamin Villnave

I am also in Minority Report with Professor Wade, and I’ve focused on Armenians as my minority group. Based on the information I’ve gathered on Kurds, I can see so many parallels between the two groups. While it’s obviously extremely complex, I believe that a large amount of the reason that Armenians were granted their own land, and Kurds have not been able to so far, really comes down to luck. I honestly believe that both groups deserve their own lands, but the promises made to the Kurds have not been followed through by foreign powers.

I also see a lot of similarities between the treatment of the groups by the Turks, with a common theme of persecution. The world has heard of the Armenian Genocide of 1915, but much fewer people have heard of the current campaign by the Turkish government against the Kurds. I think that it is essential that Armenians today recognise the similarities between their past and the Kurds’ present, and offer a helping hand.

2. Andrew Gitlitz

While doing my part of my group project on the Yezidis in Iraq for Minority Report, I learned about the Yezidi and also a bit about the Kurds and found out that they have a lot in common. The one major thing that is similar is that the Yezidis are also fighting for an independent nation just like the Kurds. The Yezidi people have suffered through a lot and are still today because of the constant attacks by ISIS. However, they are strong willed and are determined to keep fighting back just like the Kurds. They even have a military unit just for women called the Sun girls who are the best of the best and they take down ISIS a lot. Your topic does seem interesting and would love to read the rest of your paper.